real number (plural real numbers)
- (mathematics) The limit of a convergent sequence of rational numbers, whether the limit is a rational number such as 2, -5, or 2/7 or whether the limit is an irrational number such as the square root of two or the circumference of the circle whose radius is one.
- Every integer is a real number, but not vice versa.
- A real number can be regarded abstractly as an equivalence class of Cauchy sequences of real numbers.WP
- (computing) A floating-point number.
- Even if you pass sqrt an integer, it returns a real number.
limit of a convergent sequence of rational numbers
floating-point number — see floating-point number