referential (not comparable)
- Of a word or phrase applied to a particular person, place, or thing and not to any other.
- (linguistics) Of or relating to a referent.
- 2011, James Dickins, Extended Axiomatic Linguistics, Walter de Gruyter, page 108:
- Thus, the referential location of “town” in an utterance “Went to town”, is simply to be conceived as that location which might also be referred to by “there”, “the place we visited last Thursday”, “your birthplace”, etc.
- Of or relating to reference or allusion.
- 1991, David Herzberger, “Social Realism and the Contingencies of History in the Contemporary Spanish Novel”, in Hispanic Review, volume 59, number 2, U of Pennsylvania P, JSTOR 473720, page 161:
- In the first place, it must be pointed out that the bond with the past is inferential rather than referential.
- Serving as a reference.
serving as a reference