- (US) IPA(key): /ˈɹɑndəˌvu/, /ˈɹɑndeɪ̯ˌvu/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈɹɒndɪˌvuː/, /ˈɹɒndeɪ̯ˌvuː/
Audio (US) (file)
rendezvous (plural rendezvous or (rare) rendezvouses)
- A meeting or date.
- I have a rendezvous with a friend in three hours.
- 1845, Dublin University Magazine (volume 25, page 39)
- The hare lends its form to the witch for her twilight flittings and scuddings to the place of some unhallowed rendezvous.
- An agreement to meet at a certain place and time.
- “Get the party started at the rendezvous at oh six hours.”
- A place appointed for a meeting, or at which persons customarily meet.
- (military) The appointed place for troops, or for the ships of a fleet, to assemble; also, a place for enlistment.
- 1702–1704, Edward [Hyde, 1st] Earl of Clarendon, “(please specify |book=I to XVI)”, in The History of the Rebellion and Civil Wars in England, Begun in the Year 1641. […], Oxford, Oxfordshire: Printed at the Theater, published 1707, OCLC 937919305:
- The king appointed his whole army to be drawn together to a rendezvous at Marlborough.
- (astronautics) A set of orbital maneuvers during which two spacecraft arrive at the same orbit and approach to a very close distance.
- (obsolete) Retreat, refuge.
- c. 1597, William Shakespeare, “The First Part of Henry the Fourth, […]”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act IV, scene i]:
- A rendeuous, a home to fly unto
The plural form of rendezvous (/-vu/) is normally rendezvous (/-vuz/). Rarely, the form rendezvouses is encountered.
- (military): RV (abbreviation)
meeting or date
agreement to meet
a place appointed for a meeting
- To meet at an agreed time and place.
- Let's rendezvous at the bordello at 8:00 and go from there.
meet at an agreed time and place
- rendez-vous for French definition, spelling, and pronunciation
- See also rande
- rendezvous in Příruční slovník jazyka českého, 1935–1957
Declension of rendezvous