- Experiencing sensation, thought, or feeling.
- Able to consciously perceive through the use of sense faculties.
- (chiefly in science fiction) Possessing human-like awareness and intelligence.
experiencing sensation, perceiving, thinking, or feeling
science fiction: possessing human-like awareness, knowledge and intelligence
conscious or aware
sentient (plural sentients)
- Lifeform with the capability to feel sensation, such as pain.
- (chiefly science fiction) An intelligent, self-aware being.
- Jeff Prucher, editor (2007) Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford; New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-530567-8, pages 180–81
- sentient adj. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project
- sentient n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project