shorthand (plural shorthands)
- A rough and rapid method of writing by substituting symbols, for letters, words, etc.
- (by extension) Any brief or shortened way of saying or doing something.
- The jargon becomes a shorthand for these advanced concepts.
- "Kate Spade, Whose Handbags Carried Women Into Adulthood, Is Dead at 55" by Jonah Engel Bromwich, Vanessa Friedman and Matthew Schneier, The New York Times (2018)
- Her name became a shorthand for the cute, clever bags that were an instant hit with cosmopolitan women in the early stages of their careers and, later, young girls — status symbols of a more attainable, all-American sort than a Fendi clutch or Chanel bag.
a compendious and rapid method of writing
any brief or shortened way of saying or doing something