- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌsoʊsi.oʊlɪŋˈɡwɪstɪks/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌsəʊsi.əʊlɪŋˈɡwɪstɪks/, /ˌsəʊʃjəʊlɪŋˈɡwɪstɪks/
- (linguistics) The study of social and cultural effects on language and vice-versa.
- 2014 January 1, Claire Kramsch, “Language and Culture”, in AILA Review, volume 27, number 5, John Benjamins, DOI:10.1075/aila.27.02kra, ISSN 1461-0213, page 30:
- This paper surveys the research methods and approaches used in the multidisciplinary field of applied language studies or language education over the last fourty[sic] years. Drawing on insights gained in psycho- and sociolinguistics, educational linguistics and linguistic anthropology with regard to language and culture, it is organized around five major questions that concern language educators.