From Middle English sparhauk, sperhauk, from Old English spearhafoc, spearhabuc (“sparrow-hawk”), equivalent to sparrow + hawk. Cognate with Danish spurvehøg (“sparrowhawk”), Swedish sparvhök (“sparrowhawk”), Icelandic sparrhaukur (“sparrowhawk”).
sparrowhawk (plural sparrowhawks)
- The Eurasian sparrowhawk, Accipiter nisus, a small, short-winged European hawk that preys on smaller birds.
- Any of numerous other species of Accipiter, that prey on smaller birds or otherwise resemble A. nisus.
- Alternative form of ; the American kestrel, Falco sparverius.
- African little sparrowhawk
- American sparrowhawk
- black sparrowhawk
- chestnut-flanked sparrowhawk
- collared sparrowhawk
- dwarf sparrowhawk
- Frances’s sparrowhawk
- imitator sparrowhawk
- Japanese sparrowhawk
- Levant sparrowhawk
- little sparrowhawk
- Madagascan sparrowhawk
- New Britain sparrowhawk
- Sparrowhawk on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Eurasian sparrowhawk on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- American kestrel on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Accipiter nisus on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Falco sparverius on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Accipiter nisus on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
- Falco sparverius on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons