- simple past tense and past participle of
- (of a vehicle) Not moving, but not properly parked or berthed; said also of the occupants of such a vehicle.
- We were stopped for more than three hours!
- They passed a stopped car on the side of the road, but realized there was nothing they could do to help.
- (more generally) In the state resulting from having stopped.
- A stopped clock is right twice a day.
- (of a pipe) Having a stop; being closed at one end.
- (of a plant) In a well-pruned state.
- (phonetics) Made by complete closure of the organs in the mouth; said of certain consonants such as b, d, p, and t.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of H. Sweet to this entry?)