- of the essence or essential element of a thing.
- substantive information
- 2012 October 6, “The first presidential debate: Back in the centre, back in the game”, in The Economist:
- In one sense the first debate achieved the worst of all worlds: it managed to be technical, even dull, without being substantive or especially honest.
- Having substance; enduring; solid; firm; substantial.
- (law) applying to essential legal principles and rules of right.
- (chemistry) of a dye that does not need the use of a mordant to be made fast to that which is being dyed
- Antonym: adjective
- Depending on itself; independent.
- (grammar) Of or pertaining to a substantive.
- Synonym: substantival
- (military, of a rank or appointment) actually and legally held, as distinct from an acting, temporary or honorary rank or appointment
of the essence or essential element of a thing
having substance and prompting thought
law: applying to essential legal principles
substantival — see substantival
military: actually and legally held
substantive (plural substantives)
- (grammar) Clipping of . [from 16th c.]
- Part of a text that carries the meaning, such as words and their ordering.
- Coordinate term: accidental
- subst. (abbreviation used in lexicography and grammar)
noun — see noun
- (grammar, very rare) to make a word belonging to another part of speech into a substantive (that is, a noun) or use it as a noun
- (Classical) IPA(key): /sub.stanˈtiː.u̯e/, [s̠ʊps̠t̪än̪ˈt̪iːu̯ɛ]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /sub.stanˈti.ve/, [subst̪än̪ˈt̪iːve]
- first-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of substantivar
- third-person singular (ele and ela, also used with você and others) present subjunctive of substantivar
- third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of substantivar
- third-person singular (você) negative imperative of substantivar
- plural of
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of substantivar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of substantivar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of substantivar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of substantivar.