See also: tambouriné
tambourine (plural tambourines)
- A percussion instrument consisting of a small, usually wooden, hoop closed on one side with a drum frame and featuring jingling metal disks on the tread; it is most often held in the hand and shaken rhythmically; by extension, any frame drum.
- A tambourine dove.
- 2006, Gayle Soucek, Doves, page 78:
- Tambourines are shy birds and do not tame easily.
- A kind of Provençal dance.
- The music for this dance.
Derived terms edit
- To play the tambourine.
- To make a sound like a tambourine.
- 1995, Henri Cole, The Look of Things, page 23:
- Rain tambourined on the stately square.