- tempory (obsolete)
Borrowed from Latin temporarius, from tempus (“time”).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈtɛmpəɹəɹi/, /ˈtɛmpəɹi/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈtɛmpəˌɹɛɹi/
- Hyphenation: tem‧po‧rary
Audio (US) (file)
temporary (comparative more temporary, superlative most temporary)
- Not permanent; existing only for a period or periods of time.
- Sally was put in temporary charge of the department while they searched for a full-time replacement.
- Existing only for a short time or short times; transient, ephemeral.
- See also Thesaurus:ephemeral
for a limited time, ephemeral, not constant
temporary (plural temporaries)
- One serving for a limited time; short-term employee.
- (programming) A temporary variable.