- (General American) IPA(key): /tɝd͡ʒɪvɚˈseɪʃən/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /tɜːd͡ʒɪvəˈseɪʃən/
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
tergiversation (plural tergiversations)
- The act of abandoning something or someone, of changing sides; desertion; betrayal.
1985, John Fowles, A Maggot:
- They make their outward impudence their mask, as foxes, the better we may not see where they truly tend, nor their true black tergiversation beneath.
- The act of evading any clear course of action or speech, of being deliberately ambiguous; equivocation; fickleness.
tergiversation f (plural tergiversations)
- Delays in providing a clear answer caused by hesitations or an outright unwillingness to be forthright.