the matter (plural not attested)
- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see the, matter("problem")
- What's the matter with him?
- Nothing's the matter.
- (idiomatic) wrong.
- Is there something the matter with him?.
- There is nothing the matter.
- Is much the matter with the old plan?
- There is a lot the matter with it.
- The idiomatic use departs from normal grammar.
- The matter is not used freely in all cases where problem and wrong are used, only in a small number of expressions such as in the usage examples given above. For example, one does not say *He gave the matter' answer to the question.