The name derives from hip hop. It may also come from resembling a thwomp (rectangular stone enemy character) from the Super Mario series. It takes this appearance when it is tightly packed into a small plastic bag and the edges become ruffled.
twomp (plural twomps)
- (US, slang, neologism) 20 U.S. dollars' worth of marijuana.
1998 July 21, "TSmith6235", “Re: Those new Partnership for a drug-free America commercials...”, in alt.drugs.pot, Usenet:
- However, last night we scored a twomp (20 sack) of this extremely chronic weed, and we hotboxed Shaun's car...I was GONE. Just out of it. Almost uncomfortably stoned.
1998 August 23, Alexander Carlton, “Re: Doser aka A. Carlton vs. WUZ”, in rec.music.hip-hop, Usenet:
- […] twomp is twenty, so a twomp-sack is a 20 sack, generally a tiny bit over a gram of green (prices are outrageous).
1999 February 13, "Michelle", “Re: shitty tips in the past week”, in alt.pizza.delivery.drivers, Usenet:
- [replying to: Resell value is very high for weed...mmmmm] You're telling me. $20 a twomp? Fucking outrageous.
2000 January 13, "BilG4", “Re: How long does a $20 sack last you?”, in rec.drugs.cannabis, Usenet:
- HAHAHAHAHAHA i [sic] get at leat [sic] 6 grams in a twomp […]
- (US, slang) Twenty.
1999 April 7, Edmund Lee, “uop's banquet”, in ucd.org.fraternity.a-phi-o.d, Usenet:
- it's only gonna cost a twomp, right? hella cheap.
- Tom Gally, twomp, according to Berkeley High School Slang Dictionary, North Atlantic Books, quoted Feb. 2004.