- variëty (rare)
- The quality of being varied; diversity.
- Variety is the spice of life.
- Antonym: sameness
- A specific variation of something.
- A number of different things.
- 1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 4, in The Celebrity:
- One morning I had been driven to the precarious refuge afforded by the steps of the inn, after rejecting offers from the Celebrity to join him in a variety of amusements. But even here I was not free from interruption, for he was seated on a horse-block below me, playing with a fox terrier.
- 2013 January 1, Katie L. Burke, “Ecological Dependency”, in American Scientist, volume 101, number 1, page 64:
- In his first book since the 2008 essay collection Natural Acts: A Sidelong View of Science and Nature, David Quammen looks at the natural world from yet another angle: the search for the next human pandemic, what epidemiologists call “the next big one.” His quest leads him around the world to study a variety of suspect zoonoses—animal-hosted pathogens that infect humans.
- A state of constant change.
- (taxonomy) A rank in a taxonomic classification, below species and subspecies.
- (cybernetics) The total number of distinct states of a system.
- (cybernetics) Logarithm of the base 2 of the total number of distinct states of a system.
- (linguistics) A term used for a specific form of a language, neutral to whether that form is a dialect, accent, register, etc. and to its prestige level.
- 2014, James Lambert, “Diachronic stability in Indian English lexis”, in World Englishes, page 114:
- The mere existence of a dictionary of a certain variety of English does not automatically confer acceptance of that variety.
- (algebra, esp. universal algebra) The class of all algebraic structures of a given signature satisfying a given set of identities.
- The kind of theatrical entertainment given in variety shows.
- The production of, or performance in, variety shows.
- (quality of being varied): See also Thesaurus:nonuniformity
- (algebra, esp. universal algebra): equational variety
- (specific variation of something): cultivar
quality of being varied, diversity
variation of something
state of constant change
rank in a taxonomic classification
cybernetics: total number of distinct states of a system
cybernetics: logarithm of the base 2 of the total number of distinct states of a system
linguistics: term used for a specific form of a language
algebra: class of algebraic structures