- The state of being married.
- (obsolete) A wife; a married woman.
- 1601, Ben Jonson, The Poetaster:
- Which of these is thy Wedlock, Menelaus? thy Hellen? thy Lucrece? that we may do her Honour; mad Boy?
- 1643, John Milton, Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce:
- What is it then but that desire which God put into Adam in Paradise before he knew the sin of incontinence; that desire which God saw it was not good that man should be left alone to burn in; the desire and longing to put off an unkindly solitarines by uniting another body, but not without a fit soule to his in the cheerfull society of wedlock.
Derived terms edit
Related terms edit
married woman — see wife