From the root א־ח־ז (ʔ-ħ-z) in the pa`ál conjugation. Cognate with Arabic أخذ (ʔ-x-ð).
אָחַז (akház) (pa'ál construction)
- to hold
- to grab, grasp
- to take, to adopt (measures, actions)
- (אֱחֹז, echóz) masculine singular imperative of אָחַז
- For the meaning "to hold", אחז is considered formal compared with החזיק.
- For the meaning "to grab, grasp", אחז denotes grabbing normally, while לפת denotes grasping tightly or forcefully. חבק denotes grabbing and holding close to one's torso, as if hugging (see also: חיבק).
- For the the meaning "to take, adopt" the verb נקט is more commonly used today.
אָחָז (akház) m