乄 (radical 4 丿+1, 2 strokes, cangjie input 大山 (KU), XX大山 (XXKU))
- This character is used in Japanese as a special symbol, on envelopes, symbolizing that letter is closed.
- KangXi: not present, would follow page 81, character 18
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 116
- Hanyu Da Zidian: not present, would follow volume 1, page 49, character 5
- Unihan data for U+4E44
Written abbreviation of しめ (compare 〆), shime, for example in 〆切, abbreviation for 締切 shimekiri “deadline”. Sense of “closed, fastened” is due to 閉める shimeru “closed” and 締める shimeru “fastened”.
- "letter closed" character (from 閉める, close)
- sum (from 〆高, 締高, sum)
- measurement of paper
- bundle (from 締める, fasten)
〆 is primarily used as an abbreviation for 締 (sometimes 閉), in 締める (〆る), 締切 (〆切), and 締高 (〆高). Another rarer use is 〆粕, (for 搾め糟, しめかす), and there is also occasional use of 乄, as in 乄高.
Kokuji (国字 )