The title page of Hoyle's 1758 treatise on backgammon
Eponymous of Edmond Hoyle, an early author on the subject of card gaming.
according to Hoyle
- (idiomatic) In strict accordance with the rules, especially of card games; in the proper or expected manner.
- 1902, Gilbert Parker, Donovan Pasha and Some People of Egypt, ch. 11,
- This isn't a country where things are cut and dried, and done according to Hoyle.
- 2007, Phil Axelrod, "District Spotlight: PAC men's basketball follows form," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 22 Feb. (retrieved 8 Aug. 2008),
- The opening round of the Presidents' Athletic Conference men's basketball tournament went according to Hoyle.