- A machine or robot designed to follow a precise sequence of instructions.
- A person who acts like a machine or robot, often defined as having a monotonous lifestyle and lacking in emotion.
- Due to her strict adherence to her daily schedule, Jessica was becoming more and more convinced that she was an automaton.
- A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for a second, that second for a third, and so on 'til the bulk of the society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering. - Thomas Jefferson
- A formal system, such as finite automaton.
- A toy in the form of a mechanical figure.
machine or robot designed to follow a precise sequence of instructions
- (Classical) IPA(key): /au̯ˈto.ma.ton/, [au̯ˈtɔ.ma.tõ]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /au̯ˈto.ma.ton/, [au̯ˈtɔː.ma.tɔn̥], [au̯ˈtɔː.ma.to̞n̥]
Second declension neuter, Greek type.