From blood + wood.
bloodwood (countable and uncountable, plural bloodwoods)
- Any of various trees having red wood:
- (Australia) Certain eucalypts
- 1988, Tom Cole, Hell West and Crooked, Angus & Robertson 1995, p. 255:
- I cut bloodwood saplings and shaped a new pair of shafts with an adze.
- woody-fruited bloodwood, genus Corymbia (formerly Eucalyptus subg. Corymbia)
- paper-fruited bloodwood, Eucalyptus subg. Blakella
- (Jamaica) A loblolly bay (tree) (Gordonia haematoxylon).
- Brosimum paraense, a tree found in Central and South America.
- Any of several trees from the genus Pterocarpus, of the African and Asian tropics.
- Haematoxylum campechianum, a tree from Mexico.
- (uncountable) The wood of such trees.