denial (plural denials)
- The negation in logic
- The denial of "There might be X" is the null, "False, there is no X."
- A refusal to comply with a request.
- Every time we asked for an interview we got a denial.
- An assertion of untruth
- The singer has issued a sweeping denial of all the rumors.
- Refusal to believe a problem exists
- We couldn't break through his denial about being alcoholic.
- (Can we date this quote?)
- Suzanne Fields wrote: "Denial" came out of the therapyspeak prevalent in the middle of the 20th century, especially as it was applied to confronting the reality of mortality. It was popularized as the first stage of grief, and quickly expanded to include refusal to confront any bad news or disturbing ideas. 
- (formerly, psychology) A defense mechanism involving a refusal to accept the truth of a phenomenon or prospect.
- He is in denial that he has a drinking problem.
negation in logic
refusal to comply with a request
assertion of untruth
refusal to believe a problem exists
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked