hand over fist
- (idiomatic) Quickly or in great quantity, especially in reference to earning money.
- He didn't earn much, but the company seemed to rake in money hand over fist.
- 1880, Robert Louis Stevenson, Letters vol. I, chapter 4
- Are you coming over again to see me some day soon? I keep returning, and now hand over fist, from the realms of Hades: I saw that gentleman between the eyes, and fear him less after each visit.
- 1888, Rolf Boldrewood, Robbery Under Arms, chapter 39
- Now, since cattle had risen and meat and all to such a price, he was making money hand over fist.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language