leijua (“to hover”) + -ri; coined for zoological use in 2008 by a committee that made a proposal for Finnish names of all mammals. The older term for these animals is suomuhäntäorava (“lit. scale-tailed squirrel”), which still appears to be more frequently used (2012).
- Hyphenation: lei‧ju‧ri
- IPA: /ˈleiuri/
- (zoology) anomalure, anomalurid, scaly-tailed squirrel (any member of the Anomaluridae, a family of rodents found in central Africa)
- (science fiction, computer games) A fictional aircraft capable of hovering.
- (historical) helicopter (Finnish-language term proposed by professor Aarni Penttilä, which never gained ground, but survives as curiosity)
Declension of leijuri (type paperi)
- (anomalurid): suomuhäntäorava
- (helicopter): helikopteri