- to do badly, particularly to make a mess while doing.
- I generally make a hash of talking to boys I like, it's so frustrating.
- Pouring drinks is one thing I always make a hash of, so please help yourselves.
- 2013, Phil McNulty, "", BBC Sport, 26 December 2013:
- City's victory was secured in first-half injury time when Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet made a hash of his attempt to keep out Alvaro Negredo's chip, ensuring Manuel Pellegrini's side kept their flawless home league record.
- 1919, W. Somerset Maugham, The Moon and Sixpence, ch. 12
- "Of course a miracle may happen, and you may be a great painter, but you must confess the chances are a million to one against it. It'll be an awful sell if at the end you have to acknowledge you've made a hash of it."
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language