pinxit (plural pinxits)
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) A word appended to the artist's name or initials on a painting, or engraved copy of a painting
- Rubens pinxit, Rubens painted (this)
- An inscription indicating the identity of the one who created a painting.
1941, Frederic Jennings Haskin, The American Government, page 469:
- A potential buyer of The Princess had refused to purchase unless Whistler modified his pinxit, scrawled across a corner of the canvas.
1970, Galaxy Magazine, volume 31, page 119:
- Nudes that look better than life— you wouldn't need to look for his pinxit.
1993, New Jersey Libraries, volume 26-28, page 29:
- The name and address of a publisher or any additional names followed by the pinxit (he painted it) or sculpsit (he executed it) may indicate that several parties were involved in the work's […]
- pinxit at OneLook Dictionary Search