- (idiomatic) To cause someone to become slowly more and more involved in a business or situation that is often not to that person's liking.
- I really didn't want to be on the committee, but somehow I got sucked in.
- (idiomatic) To contract one's abdominal muscles to make one's stomach look flatter.
- I sucked in my belly, hoping to hide the extra weight I had put on over the holidays.
- When used in the sense "to cause someone to become involved in a situation", it is usually in the passive; one is sucked in by the situation.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language