See also: Swede
From the earlier term Swedish turnip, because the Swedes introduced the plant to the English in the 1700s.
swede (plural swedes)
- (chiefly UK) The fleshy yellow root of a variety of rape, Brassica napus, resembling a large turnip, grown as a vegetable.
- The plant from which this is obtained.
- (Scotland, Ireland, Northern England) The turnip.
- (plant): rutabaga (US, Canada)
- (vegetable): rutabaga (US, Canada), neep (Scotland), yellow turnip (US), winter turnip
yellow root of Brassica napus
turnip — see turnip