Coined in 1869 by paleontologist Edward Drinker Cope.
- A taxonomic clade within the class Reptilia – the archosaurs, including birds, crocodilians, dinosaurs, their ancestors and extinct close relatives.
- Variously ranked as class, subclass, infraclass, and order.
- Taxonomic names and relationships in this area are subject to change due to active research.
- (clade in Reptilia): Avesuchia
- (clade in Reptilia): Eukaryota - superkingdom; Animalia - kingdom; Bilateria - subkingdom; Deuterostomia - infrakingdom; Chordata - phylum; Reptilia - class; Crocopoda, Archosauriformes, Eucrocopoda - clades
- (clade in Reptilia): Avemetatarsalia (~ Ornithodira, birds and their extinct relatives, including pterosaurs (Pterosauromorpha) and dinosaurs (Dinosauria)), Pseudosuchia (crocodiles and their extinct relatives) - clades