English citations of discrepancy
|1841 1873 1889||1911 1923 1946 1978 1980|
|ME «||15th c.||16th c.||17th c.||18th c.||19th c.||20th c.||21st c.|
- 1841 — Edgar Allan Poe, Three Sundays in a Week
- The fact is, some trivial discrepancy did exist, just then, between what I said and what I had not the courage to say—between what I did and what I had half a mind to do.
- 1873 — James Clerk Maxwell, A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, Preface
- I was aware that there was supposed to be a difference between Faraday's way of conceiving phenomena and that of the mathematicians, so that neither he nor they were satisfied with each other's language. I had also the conviction that this discrepancy did not arise from either party being wrong
- 1889 — Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Ch XXVIII
- Sire, as between clothes and countenance, you are all right, there is no discrepancy; but as between your clothes and your bearing, you are all wrong, there is a most noticeable discrepancy.
- 1911 — Algernon Blackwood, The Centaur, XXX
- The discrepancies--the omissions in his written account especially--were simply due, I feel, to the fact that his skill in words was not equal to the depth and brilliance of the emotions that he experienced.
- 1923 — H. P. Lovecraft, The Horror at Martin's Beach
- Despite the large number of witnesses, no two accounts agree; and the testimony taken by local authorities contains the most amazing discrepancies.
- 1946 — Paramahansa Yogananda, Autobiography of a Yogi, Ch 44
- One day the public treasurer, Kasturabai, could not account for a disbursement of four rupees. Gandhi duly published an auditing in which he inexorably pointed out his wife's four rupee discrepancy.
- 1978 — Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, Art XIV
- We deny that alleged errors and discrepancies that have not yet been resolved violate the truth claims of the Bible.
- 1980 — NASA/ASEE, Advanced Automation for Space Missions, Ch 5.2
- A machine can compare the stored description of itself with the description obtained by inspection, and note the discrepancies.