See also: district
Proper noun edit
- (with determiner, informal) The District of Columbia, the federal district of the United States.
- (with determiner, mostly local usage) Any of numerous governmental districts.
- (rail transport) The District Line of the London Underground, originally known as the District Railway.
- 2012, Andrew Martin, Underground Overground: A passenger's history of the Tube, Profile Books, →ISBN, page 60:
- The District seems complacently salubrious. It is green on the Tube map, an inoffensive colour. It has not one but two bridge crossings of the Thames, which seems greedy when you think that no other [underground] line has even one.