The original PIE form was distorted by folk etymologies in various daughters, though most of them point to something like *plúsis, with the voiceless initial stop, and the root sequence of *-lu-. Other variant root forms are *plows- *pusl-, *psul- or *bʰlus-.
*plúsis or *plows- or *pusl- or *psul- or *bʰlus-
This noun needs an inflection-table template.
- Albanian: *pleustā < *plews-
- Albanian: plesht
- Armenian: < *pluso-
- Balto-Slavic: *blúšāˀ < *b(ʰ)lus-eh₂ (see there for further descendants)
- Germanic: *flauhaz < *plówkos (see there for further descendants)
- Hellenic: < *psuly(e)h₂ < *plus-y(e)h₂
- Indo-Iranian: *plúšiš
- Italic: < *puslek- < *plus-ek-