- (religion, uncommon) simony
- 1844, Friedrich Kohlrausch, A history of Germany: from the earliest period to the present time, page 190:
- His zeal for the purification of the church urged him forthwith to operate against the prevailing system of Simonism, or the purchasing of spiritual offices with money, and the immoral life led by the clergy.
- 1899, Elvira Grifi, Saunterings in Florence: a new artistic and practical hand-book, page 456:
- Here in 1062 the bishop of Florence Mezzabarba was refused admittance by the monks, who accused him of Simonism.