Return to "allopathic" page.
Is there really a comparative form of "allopathic"? Surely allopathy or osteopathy is a boolean question, or at least a dichotomous one.
The following is a list of examples of the modern usage the term of "allopathic" in the United States:
- United States Dept of Labor - "There are two types of physicians: M.D.—Doctor of Medicine—and D.O.—Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. M.D.s also are known as allopathic physicians."
- Journal of General Internal Medicine (Harvard Med School Faculty) "Comparison of osteopathic and allopathic medical schools' support for primary care." PMID 10632817
- Journal of Vet Med Education "Part I: twenty-year literature overview of veterinary and allopathic medicine." PMID 18339961
- Journal of the American Medical Association. PMID 18270355 "National survey of deans of all 125 accredited allopathic medical schools in the United States."
- Journal of American Geriatrics. "Attitudes, experiences, and interest in geriatrics of first-year allopathic and osteopathic medical students." PMID 18086123
- National Residency Matching Program "The NRMP classifies SMS applicants into 6 applicant types: [Type 1] Graduates of U.S. allopathic medical schools. A graduate of a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredited U.S. allopathic school of medicine."
- Illinois State Legislature. Osteopathic and Allopathic Healthcare Discrimination Act.
- Michigan State Legislature "A health care corporation certificate shall provide benefits in each group and nongroup certificate for the following equipment, supplies, and educational training for the treatment of diabetes, if determined to be medically necessary and prescribed by an allopathic or osteopathic physician:"
- Florida State Legislature "The bill requires each Florida-licensed allopathic or osteopathic physician, in conjunction with the renewal of his or her license under procedures adopted by the DOH."
- American Medical Student Association. "AMSA RECOGNIZES the equality of osteopathic and allopathic medical degrees within the organization and the healthcare community as a whole."
- American Medical Association "Allopathic med school enrollment rises 2.2%"
- Annals of Family Medicine 4:182-184 (2006) "Aligning the Interests of Osteopathic and Allopathic Teachers of Family Medicine."
- American College of Physicians "But that growth is causing something of a schism between osteopaths and their allopathic counterparts. . . "
- Dept Health and Human Services, National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program "Allopathic Medicine: For students of schools of allopathic medicine pursuing the MD degree - MD"
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey "The National Resident Matching Program matches applicants with allopathic residency programs."
- Journal of the American Medical Association. "In this article we report the specialty choices of 2 groups of entrants to US allopathic residency programs: graduates of osteopathic schools of medicine and those of non-US medical schools."
- Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) "How much does ERAS cost? Allopathic programs: ERAS fees are included in your annual membership dues to the AAMC."
- New York Times. "Nationwide, there are 125 allopathic (traditional medicine) medical schools and 23 osteopathic medical schools."
- Yale University Undergrad Career Services. "Allopathic (M.D.) Medical School: The following information is in regards to Schools of Allopathic Medicine . . . "
- National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions
- Student Doctor Network "Some students feel that they need to take the USMLE in order to get accepted into an ACGME* (allopathic) residency."
- allopathic medicine:A system in which medical doctors and other healthcare professionals (such as nurses, pharmacists, and therapists) treat symptoms and diseases using drugs, radiation, or surgery. Also called conventional medicine, Western medicine, mainstream medicine, orthodox medicine, and biomedicine. National Cancer Institute. U.S. National Institute of Health. 
- Allopathic schools of medicine grant a doctor of medicine (MD) degree.  American Medical Assoc
- Allopathic Physician (MD)  University of Illinois
- The projected supply of allopathic physicians, 1997 to 2020. After a period of rapid growth, the MD population in the US is entering a period of relative stability.  National Library of Medicine, American Medical Association
- Allopathic Physicians Licensed in Maine  Maine Dept of Health and Human Services
- To apply for licensure as an Allopathic Physician (MD) in the state of Nevada  State of Nevada, Board of Medical Examiners.
- A licensed allopathic physician (MD) practices allopathic medicine  University of New Hampshire
- Thomas G. Breslin, M.D. Allopathic Physician Representative  Rhode Island Dept of Health
- The most common is the M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) degree, offered by the nation's 125 allopathic medical schools . . . prescribing drugs and performing surgery, used by allopathic physicians (M.D.'s).  Xavier University, Louisiana
- How are the osteopathic physician (D.O.) and allopathic physician (M.D.) different?  Wittenburg University
- M.D.'s are also known as allopathic physicians.  Dictionary of Occupational Titles (D.O.T.), Fourth Edition, Revised 1991, a U.S. Department of Labor publication
- University of Missouri, St. Louis 
- Allopathic Physicians (MDs): Approximately half of Florida M.D. licenses expire every January 31st. Florida Medical Assoc
- A medical doctor (allopathic physician) (M.D.) and a doctor of osteopathic medicine( D.O.) generally have the same educational background and length of study.  North Arkansas Regional Medical Center
- Time to Accept Allopathic Physicians Into AOA-Approved Residencies? J Am Osteo Assoc  PMID 16717364
- American Medical Student Association:
- American Medical Association:
- New England Journal of Medicine:
- US Department of Health and Human Services:
- Center for Disease Control (CDC):
- Johns Hopkins:
- Harvard Medical School:
- Cleveland Clinic:
- Columbia Med:
- Yale Med:
- World Health Organization: (note usage differs here, seems to contradistinct from all forms of alternative medicine, the phrase "allopathic drugs" is used)
- American Medical Association