Open main menu

Wiktionary β


I think the carriage of a typewriter is the bit that goes backwards and forwards (as in carriage return - move the carriage to the origin). —This comment was unsigned.

I guess it depends on the type of typewriter; normally that is the "roller" thing that the paper goes into. On teletypes, the print-head is the thing that moves. But the (now) archaic meaning is the whole typewriter carriage - the whole roller assembly thing that moves. --Connel MacKenzie 18:43, 6 September 2007 (UTC)
(Which is why the carriage had such a large large lever, to move the whole thing back with your hand/arm.) --Connel MacKenzie 18:44, 6 September 2007 (UTC)
Return to "carriage" page.