It's hard to believe at first, but even though many English dictionaries use IPA, there is actually quite a variety of ways they use it. The number of phonemes is pretty much constant, but the choice of symbols varies. There are also a few quirks of English pronunciation which are seldom discussed in the Pronunciation Guide of the dictionary but can be handled in different ways by different dictionaries.
I'll be maintaining this page as a reference for whenever discussions of IPA in English come up, so that we'll something to compare against rather than just how we think things work.
- Title: PONS Kompaktwörterbuch, Teil 1: English - Deutsch, Dates: 1991-2001, ISBN: 3-12-517119-9
- Pronunciation guide: plant, farm, father: ɑː five, life: aɪ house, mouse: aʊ man, sad: æ get, bed: e name, same: eɪ ago, better: ə bird, her: ɜː there, care: eə but, son: ʌ it, wish: ɪ bee, see, me, beat, belief: iː here, near: ɪə no, low: əʊ not, long: ɒ law, all: ɔː boy, oil: ɔɪ push, look: ʊ you, do: uː poor, sure: ʊə red, dry: r
- Other findings: Scottish ch: loch lɒx unstressed e: chicken ˈtʃɪkɪn syllabic l: able ˈeɪbl syllabic m: not found syllabic n: auction ˈɔːkʃn optional rhotic r: are ɑː(r) wh- : what wɒt unstressed -y: abbey ˈæbɪ
- Title: Gads Forlag engelsk-dansk dansk-engelsk, Dates: 1994-2002, ISBN: 87-12-03855-5
- Pronunciation guide: bat, mad: æ half, carve: ɑ winter, bird: ə, əː bear, them: ɛə, ɛ not, lord: ɔ, ɔː nut, but: ʌ
- Missing from pronunciation guide: ai au ei i iː iə əu ɔi u uː uə r
- Other findings: Scottish ch: loch lɔχ unstressed e: chicken ˈtʃikən syllabic l: able eibl syllabic m: not found syllabic n: button ˈbʌtn optional rhotic r: are ɑː* wh- : what wɔt unstressed -y: abbey ˈæbi
- Title: Angol Magyar Kéziszótár English-Hungarian, Dates: 1999-2001, ISBN: 963 05 7779 8
- Pronunciation guide: kin ɪ Ben e bad æ ago ə love ʌ shop ɒ foot ʊ happy i sea iː calm ɑː bird ɜː law ɔː too uː tape eɪ type aɪ boil ɔɪ how aʊ know oʊ beer ɪə bear eə cure ʊə
- American: got ɑ long ɔ bird ɜ
- Missing from pronunciation guide: r
- Other findings: Scottish ch: loch lɒx unstressed e: chicken ˈtʃɪkɪn syllabic l: able ˈeɪbl syllabic m: prism ˈprɪzm syllabic n: button ˈbʌtn optional rhotic r: not indicated wh- : what wɔt, hwʌt unstressed -y: see above
- Title: Diccionario Oxford Pocket Edición Latinoamericana
- Other findings: unstressed e: chicken tSIkIn syllabic l: able eIbl syllabic m: xxx ??? syllabic n: button bVtn