- A manner of breathing in an organism that supplements or temporarily replaces the principal manner of breathing.
- accessory breathing muscles, accessory breathing organ
- 1970, William Stewart Hoar; David J. Randall, The nervous system, circulation, and respiration, page 402:
- Figure 15 summarizes his work on the factors controlling breathing in the yarrow, Erythrinus, a teleost which uses its air bladder for accessory breathing.
- 2007, Leslie Kaminoff, Yoga Anatomy, page 13:
- Considering the degree of muscular tension that accessory breathing entails, the net payoff in oxygenation makes it a poor energetic investment.
- 2008, Leon Chaitow; Joseph Pizzorno, Jr., Naturopathic Physical Medicine, page 387:
- Reflexively mouth breathing and accessory breathing are associated