alphenic (plural alphenics)
- (medicine, rare) White barley sugar.
- 1881, I.M.L.W., The bag of gold:
- There was Patella — wise as any owl — promising to cure me with his "Alphenic" ; but him I quickly showed the door; for here (laying his hand on the book), in here, I found this learned word is Arabic for sugar-candy!
- 1980, Tien-kung-kai-wu, page 189:
- The white sugar, or alphenic, is its best quality.
- 2016, John McQuaid, Tasty: The Art and Science of What We Eat, page 114:
- A popular Arab treatment for the common cold was al fanad or al panad, small sugar twists made from congealed syrup, which became known in English as alphenics or penides.