- Having bristles.
- Showing anger.
- 2011 January 15, Phil McNulty, “Tottenham 0 - 0 Man Utd”, in BBC:
- Tottenham had hoped to make a statement of real intent against the title pace-setters and while manager Harry Redknapp did not secure the victory he craved, he at least saw his side match United every stride of the way in a game that fizzled out after a bristling start.
bristling (plural bristlings)
- The act of one who bristles.
- 1906, Jack London, White Fang:
- When dogs fight, there are usually preliminaries to the actual combat — snarlings and bristlings and stiff-legged struttings. But White Fang learned to omit these preliminaries.