- Indulgence in concerns of the flesh; bodily appetites.
- Synonym: carnality
- 1590, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, II.iv:
- when strong passion, or weake fleshlinesse / Would from the right way seeke to draw him wide, / He would through temperance and stedfastnesse, / Teach him the weake to strengthen [...].
- 1871, John Ruskin, Lectures on Landscape, Lecture 2,
- The more recent pictures of the painter Gérôme unite all these attributes in a singular degree; above all, the fleshliness and materialism which make his studies of the nude, in my judgment, altogether inadmissible into the rank of the fine arts.
- 1948, Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter (translator), Doctor Faustus, by Thomas Mann, New York: Knopf, Chapter 13,
- […] the remarkable and profoundly significant thing was that though the human being, both male and female, was endowed with sex, and although the localization of the dæmonic in the loins fitted the man better than the woman, yet the whole curse of fleshliness, of slavery to sex, was laid upon the woman.