- (sports, idiomatic) A substitute who has yet to play in the match, and therefore has more energy than those already on the field.
- The tired France were unable to break down the German defence, so they brought on some fresh legs.
- 2015, Paul Wilson, Alexis Sánchez sends Arsenal into final after gallant Reading go the distance (in The Guardian, 18 April 2015)
- Arsenal had the ideal fresh legs for extra time in Theo Walcott, and though he was sent on after 10 minutes he was uninvolved in the winning goal.
- 2011 January 11, Jonathan Stevenson, “West Ham 2 - 1 Birmingham”, in BBC:
- But they survived some real pressure as David Murphy flashed a header inches wide of Rob Green's right-hand post and then struck the killer blow on the night - and, they hope, the tie - after introducing the fresh legs of Cole and Zavon Hines.