- Eye dialect spelling of foreign.
- 1882, Louisa M. Alcott, Kitty's Class Day And Other Stories:
- I do relish the smart sayins, the odd ways of furrin parts, and the sarcastic slaps at folkses weak spots.
- 1877, R. D. Blackmore, Erema:
- And the gutturals of that furrin English is always a little hard to catch.
- 1887, R. D. Blackmore, Springhaven:
- Not that my young gentleman is troublesome, mind you, only so full of them outlandish furrin ways--abideth all day long without ating ort, so different from a honest Englishman.