- Any of several large carnivorous frogs, of the genus Megophrys, that have elongated "eyebrows"
- Any of the genus Phrynosoma of horned lizards, especially the Texas horned lizard.
- 1855, John Wright, William Wright, Recollections of Western Texas, published 1995, page 41:
- But among all the harmless reptiles of Texas, decidedly the most singular is the horned frog; it resembles the common frog […]
- 1912, J. W. Reading, “Locomotive Engineers Journal”, in (Please provide the book title or journal name), volume 47:
- The horned frog is a native of Texas and Lower California, where he is found inhabiting the sandy soil of the prairies and the pockets of the small boy. / The horned frog is really no frog at all, but a lizard traveling incognito.
- 2012, Lonn Taylor, Texas, My Texas: Musings of the Rambling Boy:
- I have always had aspecial affinity for horned toads, probably because I went to Texas Christian University, whose mascot is the horned frog