- Analgesic, able to reduce pain or suffering.
- Laxative; easing the bowels.
- (of a person) Mild; gentle.
lenitive (plural lenitives)
- An analgesic or other source of relief from pain
- 1688, David Hume, The History of England in Three Volumes, Vol. I, Part E:
- It is now full time to free him from all these necessities, and to apply cordials and lenitives, after those severities which have already had their full course against him.
- 1825, Samuel Johnson, The Works of Samuel Johnson in Nine Volumes:
- Upon the whole, as the author seems to share all the common miseries of life, he appears to partake likewise of its lenitives and abatements.
- 1899, Alexander Pope, The Iliad of Homer:
- Their pain soft arts of pharmacy can ease, Thy breast alone no lenitives appease.
- A laxative.