mélange (plural mélanges)
- Alternative form of
- For quotations of use of this term, see Citations:mélange.
From Middle French mélange, meslange, from Old French meslance, meslinges (“set of diverse elements”), apparently a borrowing from Frankish *misklinga (“mix, mixture”), from Frankish *misklōn (“to mix”). Compare Old High German miscilunga, miskilunga, miskelunga (“mixture, assortment, combination, blend”).
Alternatively, derived from Old French mescler (“to mingle, mix up”) (modern French mêler), from Vulgar Latin *misculāre + -inges, a suffix from Frankish *-ingo (“-ing”). Compare also Old High German miscilōn, miskilōn, miskelōn (“to mix”).
mélange m (plural mélanges)
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of