Literally, "half terms."
- cautious, reticent, or evasive expressions; mincing of words
- 2020, Barack Obama, chapter 22, in Chicca Galli; Paolo Lucca; Giuseppe Maugeri, transl., Una terra promessa [A Promised Land], Garzanti Libri:
- Quando una volta gli chiesero a quali convegni fuori città potessero partecipare i funzionari dell'amministrazione, rispose senza mezzi termini: «Se è qualcosa di potenzialmente divertente, non ci potete andare».
- When asked once what sort of out-of-town conferences were OK for administration officials to attend, his response was short and to the point: "If it sounds fun, you can't go."
- (literally, “When once they asked him in which out-of-the-city meetings administration officials could participate, he responded without mincing his words: "If it is something potentially fun, you can't go there."”)