- (pathology) Inflammation of one or both parotid glands.
- 1794, Erasmus Darwin, Zoonomia; or the Laws of Organic Life:
- I except the mumps, or parotitis, described below; which is properly an external gland, as its excretory duct opens into the air.
- 2012, Vincent Marks, Differential Diagnosis by Laboratory Medicine:
- Test Purpose 1) to diagnose acute pancreatitis, acute relapse of chronic pancreatitis, 2) to distinguish between acute pancreatitis and other causes of abdominal pain requiring immediate surgery, 3) to evaluate possible pancreatic injury caused by abdominal trauma or surgery, 4) to help in the diagnosis of epidemic and alcoholic parotitides.
inflammation of parotid gland