See also: Silvan
- Alternative spelling of .
- 1806, Virgil; John Dryden, transl., “Æneis, Book I”, in The Works of Virgil, Translated into English Verse [...] A New Edition; with Remarks on the “Corrections” of Dr. [John] Carey, volume II, new edition, London: Printed for J. Johnson [et al.], OCLC 315491820, lines 231–234:
- Broke by the jutting land, on either side, / In double streams the briny waters glide, / Betwixt two rows of rocks: a silvan scene / Appears above, and groves for ever green: […]
- 1853 July, [Benson John Lossing], “Sketches on the Upper Mississippi”, in Harper’s New Monthly Magazine, volume VII, number XXXVIII, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, publishers, 329 & 331 Pearl Street, Franklin Square, OCLC 924884025, page 182, column 2:
- We were now within the boundaries of Minnesota, and this prairie was yet the habitation of Wapasha (Red Leaf) and his Sioux band. I never beheld a more charming silvan picture than this prairie presented; […]