tautonym (plural tautonyms)
- (biology) A binomial name consisting of the same word twice, such as Bison bison.
- 2013 August 14, “Is oxeye daisy a Leucanthemum or a Chrysanthemum?”, in Botanical Accuracy:
- And that would mean a species named Leucanthemum leucanthemum, with the genus and species epithet the same (a tautonym), which is a total no-no in botany.
- (linguistics) A word or term made from two identical parts or syllables, such as bonbon or dada.
- absolute synonym
- (lingustics): reduplicant