- (countable) A layout or motion that twines.
1907, Ludwig Jost, Robert John Harvey Gibson, Lectures on plant physiology:
- In addition to autonomous movements in one plane we have also autonomous movements in space, such as torsions and twinings.
- (Britain, uncountable, regional, West Cumbria) complaining or grumbling
2009 November 23, agency., “Cockermouth starts journey back from flood devastation”, The Guardian:
- Canon Bryan Rowe, quoted in the article. It's going to take months to put right. But you won't hear any twining [Cumbrian dialect for moaning]. Nobody is going: 'Woe is us'. Everybody is just trying to help somebody else.
- simple past tense and past participle of